3/15/2007

Prayer

I have been reminded recently of the power of prayer. A part of my life consists of being an Intervarsity Student Fellowship volunteer at Normandale Community College. The leadership of IV at Normandale is made up of all volunteers actually because there isn't an IV staff person there. Since September of 06, the leaders of IV & Campus Crusade, along with leaders of two or three churches interested in students at Normandale have gathered the first Friday morning of every month to pray. As far as I know, this is a pretty unique situation for a college campus. As a result of our times together in prayer, a real sense of unity is present amongst the various groups. The unity is relational and characterized by friendship as opposed to an organizational unity. We understand that our programs, methods, and philosophy may differ but our mission is the same. Therefore, we gather and pray, asking God to empower us with his Spirit so we can reach students and faculty with the love and salvation Jesus offers. We are available to assist each other as well. Since Campus Crusade went through the process of becoming an official group this semester, the IV leaders helped Campus Crusade through this time. All groups are pitching in to help with our Pizza & God times designated to get the students involved in the Christian organizations together with other students at Normandale. It is wonderful to see Jesus' prayer in John 17 become a reality at Normandale: "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." I truly believe students at Normandale are beginning to believe Jesus is from God and they see the love of the Father because students from IV, Campus Crusade, Evergreen Community Church, and others are striving to maintain unity. On April 5 at Normandale we are asking all Christians in the Bloomington, Edina, Richfield, and other surrounding communities to ascend on the campus for a night of prayer & worship. We are going to echo Jesus' model prayer in Matthew 6 for the kingdom and will of God be done on Normandale as it is in heaven. If you live in the area, join us. God is doing a work. It began with prayer and will continue with prayer. Jesus promised this in Matthew 18: "Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst." Imagine if 2-300 came to Normandale on April 5, agreeing in prayer for the Kingdom of God to be expanded at Normandale? Imagine if leaders on other campuses would gather to pray? Imagine if pastors gathered to pray? Imagine if churches gathered to pray?

1 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord, Jamie, because you have found the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and you're using them! Jesus said, in Matthew 16:18-19 "..I will build My church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

We thank God that He is opening our (His children) eyes to see that our "unity is relational..as opposed to an organizational unity." Yes, our unity is based upon our relationship with God first, and, by His Holy Spirit, with others, as we walk together in His Spirit, and pray for one another. For "Can two walk together, except they be agreed" (Amos 3:3)?

"Therefore, we gather and pray, asking God to empower us with his Spirit so we can reach students and faculty with the love and salvation Jesus offers."

Yes, Father God, may we all be one, as our Lord Jesus has prayed; as Thou, Father, art in Christ, and He is in Thee, that we also may be one in You: that the world may believe that You, Father, have sent Your Son Jesus, in whose name we pray. Amen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home